Dark Chocolate Tartlets with Candied Orange
Serves 6 Prep: 30 minutes Cook: 15 minutes
For the salted dark chocolate tart:
- 250g dark chocolate
- 150g butter
- 3 eggs, plus 1 yolk
- 30g plain flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 mandarin, juiced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange-flavoured liquer
- 6 x10cm ready-made tart shells
For the candied orange:
- 2 oranges
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
Candied Orange and Syrup
- Thinly slice 2 oranges and set aside.
- Simmer sugar with equal parts water over medium heat.
- Add orange slices to the mixture and reduce heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Remove orange slices and let cool on wire rack.
- Continue to heat the syrup under medium heat for 2 minutes or until reduced. Let it cool slightly.
Salted Dark Chocolate Tart
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Melt chocolate, butter and 3 tablespoons of syrup over a pan of simmering water. Add sea salt, mandarin juice and Grand Marnier to chocolate mixture and stir to combine. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk eggs, flour and sugar in a separate bowl then gradually add chocolate to the egg mixture.
- Pour into the tart shells and bake for 15 minutes. The filling will wobble slightly, but will then become firm as it cools.
- Arrange candied orange slices over the tart, drizzle with syrup and sprinkle sea salt flakes to serve.